Trusted expertise in urban planning, building design & spatial economics
Space Syntax provides strategic, evidence-based consulting services in economics, planning, design, transport and property development.
Combining extensive global experience with robust and sophisticated technologies, we forecast the effects of planning and design decisions on the movement and interaction of people in buildings and urban areas.
Space Syntax’s unique contribution to the field of urban planning and design is in the identification of fundamental links between spatial layout and the social, economic and environmental performance of places. Space Syntax research has made five key discoveries that demonstrate how spatial layout directly affects:
- movement, such that Space Syntax models can be used as strategic traffic modelling tools for vehicle, pedestrian and cycling movement
- land use, showing how land use performance is deeply influenced by spatial location
- safety, allowing risk to be identified and safer places to be created
- land value, demonstrating the influence of spatial networks on property economics
- carbon emissions, highlighting the contribution of spatial planning and design to environmental impact.
Space Syntax works to de-risk property investment decisions, showing how the spatial layout of places can be optimised to enhance the social, economic and environmental value of developments. Using a highly graphic, data-rich and audience-engaging set of techniques, we help our clients achieve powerful results quickly.
Our track record includes some of the world’s most prestigious and challenging projects.
Celebrating 25 years of Space Syntax
On 17th July 1989 University College London established Space Syntax Limited to protect, develop and disseminate its intellectual property: a unique, science-based, human-focused approach to spatial analysis. 25 years later, our mission remains the same.Read more...